Croke Park has won the Best SME award at The Green Awards 2011. Entries came from across Ireland’s green community and Croke Park was a finalist in both The Green SME & The Green Entertainment & Leisure categories.
The award was presented at a ceremony in Dublin on Thursday the 14th of April.
Croke Park’s environmental sustainability journey began in 2008 with Cúl Green – a joint initiative with the ESB-Electric Ireland to make Croke Park carbon neutral. This was achieved in 2009 and since then sustainability objectives are top of the agenda at Croke Park. The ISO 14001 certification was achieved in 2009 and in 2010 Croke Park become the first stadium in the world to receive BS 8901 certification for sustainable event management systems.
Key operational achievements include:
• Reduction of waste to landfill by 54%
• Move to sustainability energy sources
• Installation of a Building Management System (BMS) and Environmental Monitoring System (EMS)
• Installation of PIR’s (passive infrared sensors) and energy efficient heating systems
• Installation of solenoid values to reduce water consumption
• Controls on purchasing and procurement
• Complying with all environmental legislation
• Setting environmental goals and continuously monitoring performance