Multinational utility companies are seeking to invest over Eur2 billion to harness the energy of County Clare’s wind, wave, tidal and biomass resources. This is according to the Clare County Development Board (CDB), which has launched its Integrated Strategy on Energy & Climate Change. The plan sets the path for Clare to become a low carbon county by 2017, as stated in the new Clare County Development Plan.
The strategy also outlines plans to create carbon free commercial trading centres within County Clare and generate hundreds of skilled jobs to serve the renewable energy market.
“This strategy sets out the importance that County Clare places on its environment and heritage of renewable energy production. This comes at a time when the country is searching for solutions to many social and economic issues. Ireland’s economy is suffering badly in the global recession and County Clare has been affected,” comments Joe Arkins, Cathaoirleach of the CDB. “Despite having abundant renewable energy resources the county and country are also heavily dependent upon imported fossil fuels to support our society and economy.”
Pat Stephens of the Limerick Clare Energy Agency, chairman of the Steering Committee that delivered the Strategy, adds: “County Clare has world class renewable energy resources in the areas of wind, wave, tidal, and biomass energy. These resources will be harnessed to create clean energy and great wealth for the county and the country.”
The objectives of the strategy are in five main themes:-
Energy Security, Conservation & Efficiency
– Energy conservation and benchmarking could reduce energy costs by €50 million.
– Hundreds of jobs will be protected by improving our energy efficiency and energy security.
Renewable & indigenous energy
* Large multi-national utility companies are seeking to invest over Eur2 billion to harness the energy of County Clare’s wind, wave, tidal and biomass resources.
* Hundreds of skilled jobs will be created to serve the renewable energy market.
Low Carbon Economy – Reduce CO2 Emissions
* Clare can create carbon free commercial trading centres.
* Low Carbon Counties attract inward investment.
* Reduced CO2 saves on Carbon tax.
Research & Development capacity in Alternative Energy
* Clare is working with third level institutes from all over the world to establish R&D capacity on alternative energy in the county.
Transport energy efficiency, conservation & renewable energy
* The county is perfectly placed to support the roll out of electric vehicles.
* Public transport services will have enhanced ticketing and route planning systems.