Festivals and events have an impact on the environment; considerable amounts of water and energy can be consumed as well as litter and waste generated.
Galway Arts Festival 2011, in association with Galway City Council and the Environment Protection Agency, have taken steps to reduce these environmental impacts.
We are encouraging all festival goers to support our efforts by following these simple steps:
- Never litter. If you can’t find a bin, keep your waste with you and ask a steward or volunteer where the closest bin is.
- Recycle. Do your best to segregate waste; place recyclables in the recycling bin and, where provided, use the food waste bin for food waste and napkins.
- Reduce waste. Say no to items you’re not going to use, such as napkins, sachets and straws. Try to avoid disposable items.
- Be energy efficient. Switch off appliances and lights when leaving home.
- Travel smarter. Use public transport, walk, cycle or car share to and from festival events, if possible.
- Be water wise. Don’t leave taps running in the toilets. If you spot a leak, tell the event organisers.
- Buy local. Try to buy local during the festival; you will be supporting the local economy and sustaining local jobs.
So have fun, enjoy the festival and respect the environment.
To view our Greening Galway Arts Festival brochure click here.
The businesses listed below have pledged their support for our campaign. Please choose green business.
Festival Big Top
Town Hall Theatre
Galway City Museum
Radisson Blu Hotel
Green Hospitality Programme Members:
Green Hospitality Members, Galway county:
|Green Aware Members:
E Brun Bar
Evergreen Galway Shopping Centre
Evergreen Mainguard Street
Food 4 Thought
Galway Arms Hotel
Galway Bay Hotel
Mill House Restaurant
NUIG College Bar
NUIG Smokey’s Café
NUIG The Wall Café
Pura Vida Coffee House
Sheridans of Knocknacarra Sleepzone Hostel
Spanish Arch Hotel
The Blue Note
The Cottage Bar
The Crane Bar
The Dail Bar
The Dew Drop Inn
The Front Door
The House Hotel
The Kings Head
The Malt House
Tig Neachtain’s Tigh Coili